Inclement Weather Procedures
Ferguson-Florissant School District's goal is to ensure the safety of all during inclement weather events while minimizing the disruption to student learning.
If weather conditions or other unexpected, short-term events make it unsafe for students to attend in person, the District may use one of the following options:
- School may start two hours late. (Delayed start)
- Students may be released early. (Early dismissal)
- Students may learn during a 'virtual learning day.' (Asynchronous or Synchronous learning day)
- In-person classes may be canceled entirely. (A regular snow day)
What options will the District consider when weather conditions are severe?
Two-hour delayed late start - A two-hour delayed start will be used to allow staff additional time to get to school and prepare the grounds and facilities (i.e., clearing ice, sidewalks, etc.). Also, conditions and visibility often improve later in the morning. The school day will begin two hours later. All schools will end their day at the regular time. A complete list of delayed start times is listed below:
Middle (6-8) - 9:25 a.m.
High (9-12) - 10:05 a.m.
Intermediate (3-5) - 10:50 a.m.
Primary (Pre K - 2) - 11:20 a.m.
Early dismissal - In the case of developing weather conditions, the District may call for early dismissal of students. In this case, there will be no evening activities or classes.
Virtual learning day (AMI) - During a virtual learning day, in-person classes are cancelled. Students will take part in independent learning activities virtually at home through Canvas or with online teacher support.
School closing - Closing school, is necessary when the weather forecast and current conditions indicate that a late start is not possible. School closure is usually a result of snow and/or ice. This will be a traditional 'snow day' with no in-person or virtual classes.
How are parents/guardians notified of school closings?
Any decision to close schools due to weather will be announced using Ferguson-Florissant School District’s automated messaging system (email, text, and/or phone calls). Announcements will be made on local television stations, the District website, and FFSD’s Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram accounts. When possible, announcements regarding inclement weather days will be made before 10 p.m. the day before or at approximately 5:30 a.m. the day inclement weather is expected.
- District website: www.fergflor.org provides notification of school closings and cancellations.
- Email, Phone Call, FFSD App & Text Message: Phone, email, and text messages are sent to school families and employees when classes are cancelled, delayed, virtual, or students are released early.
- Social Media: Information will be posted on the District’s Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Radio & TV: Local stations share announcements on air and on their websites.
NOTE: If you are a parent/guardian and did not receive a phone call on a day when school is closed due to weather, please contact your child's school office to ensure the District has the correct contact information on file for your family. You can also update or change your contact information in the Parent Portal.