Getting Started with Canvas as a Parent
Canvas is the Ferguson-Florissant School District’s Learning Management System. Canvas is a course management system that supports online learning and teaching. Parents can sign up for a free account in order to view the resources and activities posted in their child’s courses that are available on Canvas. You can access our Canvas by using a browser on a computer, or by installing the Canvas Parent app on your mobile device.
- Read announcements, view the calendar, and see the course syllabus.
- Access a list of assignments with due dates.
- See your child's assignments, but not his/her discussion posts.
- View your child’s scores on assignments in Canvas. Course grades will continue to be published in SIS.
- Use the Inbox to contact the teacher.
- Set up notifications to get emails or texts for announcements, assignments, etc.
- View the instructional content in the course.
- Please note: When parents add the Canvas app and logs in, you will not see your child's courses automatically. You must pair your child's teacher(s) with their account. Here is a link to generating a student pairing code. How do I generate a pairing code for an observer as a student?
What is an LMS and why Canvas? (5m)
Learn how to use the parent app (3m)
Canvas Overview for Observers/Parents. (4m)
How do I sign up for a Canvas account as a parent?
User guide for parents
How do I link a student to my user account as an observer?